This is for everyone who has raved about my Noni’s pecan bars for years and for good reason! These little guys take a little time and a huge baking sheet, but they are so worth it.
I remember the first time my mom and I tried to recreate them, and long story short the pan we choose was nowhere near big enough OR deep enough and we about burned the house down. I can still see my mom frantically trying to scoop the filling up off of the bottom of the oven with a spatula. Good times!
Fun fact about these pecan bars. You can make them ahead of time, freeze them and then pull them out the night before your event to get room temp. Tada!
- Yield: 20 large squares
- 1 1/4 lb unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3/4 c granulated sugar
- 3 extra large eggs
- 3/4 tsp. vanilla extract
- 4 1/2 c all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 lb unsalted butter
- 1 c good honey
- 3 c light brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 c heavy cream
- 1 3/4 lb chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- For the crust, beat the butter and granulated sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, until light, approximately 3 minutes. Add the eggs and the vanilla and mix well. Sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Mix the dry ingredients into the batter with the mixer on low speed until just combined. Press the dough evenly into an ungreased 18 by 12 by 1-inch baking sheet, making an edge around the outside. It will be very sticky; sprinkle the dough and your hands lightly with flour. Bake for 15 minutes, until the crust is set but not browned. Allow to cool.
- For the topping, combine the butter, honey and brown sugar in a large, heavy-bottomed saucepan. Cook over low heat until the butter is melted, using a wooden spoon to stir. Raise the heat and boil for 3 minutes. Remove from the heat. Stir in the heavy cream and pecans. Pour over the crust, trying not to get the filling between the crust and the pan. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until the filling is set. Remove from the oven and allow to cool. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate until cold. Cut into bars and serve.