- Prep Time: 20m
- Cook Time: 20m
- Total Time: 24h
- Serves: 1 gallon of ice cream
- 2 1/3 c heavy cream
- 1 1/4 c whole milk
- 5 egg yolks
- 3/4 c plus 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tsp. vanilla flavoring
- 1 c strawberries; or any fruit/toppings you like
- Pour the cream and milk into a saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the sugar and stir until completely dissolved, and then remove the pan from the heat.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg yolks until they are pale yellow. Then spoon in a small amount of the warm cream mixture while whisking the eggs. This allows the eggs to become the same temperature as the cream and they will not cook, also called tempering your eggs.
- Once your eggs are tempered slowly add them into the saucepan while whisking the cream. When added begin to warm your custard over medium to high heat until it covers the back of a metal spoon. Takes about 8 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and last but not least, add in your vanilla.
- Now pour your custard into a bowl, cover and let it set in the fridge until cool. I let mine set over night.
- Once cool, set up your ice cream maker according to the instructions and get to churning! The last few minutes add the toppings of your choice.
- Once it is nice and thick, spoon it into a bowl, cover and let it harden in the freezer.