Every Christmas my Granny gifts each of us our own personal tin of her heavenly thumbprint cookies filled with red and green icing. We only get these jewels once a year, and every year we can not wait for her to pull in the driveway and we usually tear into them while we help her unload the car. I have never tried to replicate these addictive cookies and I still can not think of why I never have. Maybe it’s because of tradition and that element of excitement we get every Christmas, or the fact that when we do receive our tins it is a reminder that we are all together for another Christmas. Maybe it is because of a lot of reasons, but my Mom and I did something different this year and I have looked forward to it for some time. We baked them together with my Granny this year that way I will know her exact process!
My Mom has always been a wonderful cook. While my Noni taught me mostly baking, my Mom taught me how to prepare meals from start to finish. When I was too small to actually cook, I would set the table and fix the drinks, but as I got older, my parents would put my skills to the test and I got to make the sides. I am forever thankful for not only this skill but for the love of being in the kitchen. I know Zac is very thankful too. 🙂
I hope you enjoy this thumbprint cookie recipe. It is near and dear to our hearts and thank you all SO much for following along with the Twelve Days of Christmas Cookies! It has been so much fun and I hope you have enjoyed it.
- Yield: 24 cookies
- 1/2 c finely chopped pecans
- 1 c oats (not quick oats)
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 c all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 c powdered sugar
- 1 c unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 5 tbsp. evaporated milk
- 2 c powdered sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- whatever food color you desire!
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Cream together your sugar and butter. Once combined, add in the remaining of your ingredients. Rool dough into balls and make a small imprint in the middle. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes.
- While the cookies cool, mix your ingredients for your icing. Once cooled completely, top each thumbprint off with the delicious icing!